How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 24611
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I'm south African married my English husband in Jan 2018 we

This answer was rated:

Hi. I'm south African married my English husband in Jan 2018 we married in s a do we have to register marriage here in uk
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Live in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's fine

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Are you both living here now?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Yes My Husband has always lived here we married on Jan 2018 I moved here March 2018 once my spousal visa came through

If you have a legal marriage anywhere in the world then it’s a legal marriage in the UK.  The same applies to a divorce.  You don’t have to register the marriage in the UK for it to be valid.  Indeed, there is no facility to do so.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards

Stuart J and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Thank you . We were married in community of property should my husband pass away will i be entitled to half of the estate and property

Conversation went to phone call but no idea how much I'll be charged for phone call. If we can rather chat here

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost.  It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time.  So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later.  It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

A Community of Property means nothing to me.  It would depend whether it was accepted in whichever country as being a legal marriage as to whether it was legal in the UK.

How the assets are dealt with in the event of death depends whether you have children, which country you are in, and where the assets are.

If someone dies without a will, intestate,  in the UK, a spouse gets the first GBP275,000 of assets and50% of the remainder and children get the other 50% of the remainder.

With no children the spouse will get everything

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks if his will states i can live I the house as long as I want but if sold his 2 children get 1/3 each . Is that after i het 50 % or do I get a 1/ 3 as well
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The children are both grown up not dependants

If he has a will, then ignore what I said earlier.

You get whatever it says in the will.

The children’s ages are irrelevant if they are over 18.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
bring married community of property does not entitle me to 50%

I don’t know what a Community of Property is.  We don’t have that the legal concept in the UK.

The 50% only applies if he has not written a will otherwise it passes in accordance with the terms of the will

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks in S A marriage law it means spouse gers 50% but here it appears to fall away according to the will

That’s correct.  The law is different.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks nothing else..have a great afternoon

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me,  with your legal problem.