Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My neibour has just built a conservatory. When standing they

My neibour has just built a conservatory. When standing they can see into my bedroom and lounge. If they open the top window it extends over my fence. Can this be right?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Lytham St. Annes Lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the council who said they no plans have been filed but I understand they have aoolied for retrospective planning permission and gone ahead with hte build.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Those are the main points

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

How are they able to see into your bedroom and lounge - is the conservatory built higher than the fence?

if you can upload pics that would be useful - thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am acting on behalf of my widowed sister in law who isn't very technical. She has got some pictures but it might take some time to talk her through how to email them to me. The PVC glass and window wall goes up to the eaves of her semi detached bungalow and yes it is higher than the fence. The roof has yet to be installed, Sitting on her bed she can see the workman looking into her room.

There is no right to privacy even under the Human Rights Act.  It is the right to a private life.

However if it becomes intimidating you may have a claim against the neighbour for harassment.

The window cannot open over your friends because that’s trespass and you would be entitled to tell them to stop it and if they don’t, taken to court for an injunction to prevent the trespass.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you that will give her a starting point

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me,  with your legal problem.