12826847

I have a harassment case and the police are not doing

Customer Question

Hello, I have a harassment case and the police are not doing anything about it, I need some alternative help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have reported the harrassment continuously, this person has now turned up physically at my agents office demanding payment and threatening them. (to be clear this person has a fixation with me)
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He has previously messaged me sexual messages
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hello. What can I  do for you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello Jo,I am wanting some advice regarding a harassment situation. The police seem to not be acting on something that has been going on for a few months. An ex-driver of mine - I work in film - has a 'fixation' with me, and has been sending me messages and emails, he has then moved onto my agent, continuously emailing bizarre things, and now today has shown up at my agents office.They called 999 and I assumed he would be arrested after the constant harrassment, but he sent me an email 1 minute ago, so I assume he was just let go. I now have no option but to look elsewhere for help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

OK, so what would you like to know?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Are you asking if they would normally deal with him like this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would like to know if there is anything legally I can do if the police are not doing anything, apparently they are being cautious as its a 'mental health' issue, but I feel unsafe
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Thank you. T hey are not really being cautious.  This is fairly statement practice.  He was never going to be remanded over a harassment.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Its just not a realistic expectation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Even a communications offence would n't get a person remanded I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok, the police have all of the threatening emails and texts. Do I just have to wait until he shows up at my house for something to be done? The tone of his emails hint that he thinks we have been in a relationship - I would like to re-iterate that we have never been involved and he was my van driver
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My concern is that I live alone and am going to have to move for a while
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The police said that he is mentally unwell and so they cannot do anything.. so does this just leave me to wait
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

It doesn't mean they cannot do anything but for emails alone, they would not get a remand in custody.

Even if he does show up, you don't have to let him in and can just call the police. You  have a spy hole I presume?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am fitting a dash cam/doorbell cam. I can do that although I haven't put it past him to break in
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Or a ring doorbell?  They are very good.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
but thank you for clarifying, as the police said they wanted to invite him in for questioning and then nothing has been done
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Have they not even spoken to him?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They sent him an email telling him not to contact me in July. That was it.... I have continuously updated them on the events, as he has not stopped contacting me, and no nothing has been done
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

But they've invited him in?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
apparently, but the police don't seem able to give me updates
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have asked who is responsible for the case, they gave me an email, and I emailed. They are yet to respond. That was 5 days ago
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Yes, to be fair they are swamped at the moment. it sounds like they are dealing with it, but when people are just being annoying as opposed to threatening violence in earnest, they don't tend to have priority.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I understand that, however he has been threatening violence and then turned up at my agency today and tried to smash through the glass doors, but thank you for the advice.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Have you thought of a civil order?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I haven't heard of it, is this easily obtainable
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

I don't do that sort of work but people do take out injunctions all the time.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just googled it and it sounds perfect. He says I owe him £250,000.. he is a van driver
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Whether it stops him is another matter of course.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is true, but I will definitely look into a civil order!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.