Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I have been given a CCJ to my old address but knew nothing

Customer Question

Hi. I have been given a CCJ to my old address but knew nothing about it til now. I still own the old property but dont live there. My mortgage company said they paid off the CCJ fee. Which I didnt know about. But the CCJ is still there and the company charged £1000 in fees. Can you please provide guidance so I can resolve this.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing. Mortgage company has paid off in full and added to my mortrgage
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had paid the fees because the company would not resolve issues. And doing so in the past they would say if I paid they would resolve any issue but would then just ignore
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Is it case that the CCJ has now been satisfied and you wish to remove the same from your records?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Anthony.
Well yes. Completely removed. It was sent to an address I dont live at. So did not have knowledge of it. I still do not know who it was from or even have a reference number for it. Everything say you need the reference on the letter but I never received one.
I only noticed it because of my credit report. And seen as the mortgage company said they paid the fee. Which I only found out after. Surely it should now go away. Yet the payment was made nearly a month ago and it is showing on the credit report as active.

Thanks for the further information.

You will need to find out the identity of the Claimant first and a starting point is to contact the mortgage company as they will likely have a ref number or the name of the claimant they paid.

Do you understand what i have stated so far? if yes i will proceed to discuss the next step.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I do. Thanks
I will contact the mortgage company

Once you obtain the necessary info contact the claimant and ask for a copy of the claim form and particulars of claim as this doc will have info about this issue at hand.

Further ask whether the claim has been settled, if so when and how much.

Once you receive and review the info then consider whether this one to defend or obtain further information in order to notify the credit register admin that the claim is settled.

If you require further assistance when you receive the docs please return to JA and we can assist you.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe