Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I am contacting your service as I want to know if I have any

Customer Question

Good afternoon,I am contacting your service as I want to know if I have any legal standing to get some sort of compensation from my university, as the service I have received from the establishment has been dire.I have had to deal with the police twice at the university, both being separate incidents, and a suspension which was all dealt with very poorly. During the pandemic, the teaching was all online and not up to standard. When things were getting back to normal, there was a cyber attack on the university which closed the campus for two weeks, which impacted my coursework and exams. Since the cyber attack, I have been wrongly enrolled on two master courses and I could and still cannot access any of my grades and have been sending multiple emails and phone calls since the 8th of June. The university's policy is 20 working days to get grades and I have had to wait three months and 2 days. This has also meant I have missed the deadline for a scholarship of £3000 applied as a course discount even though I have met the criteria. I have also been capped wrongly at 40% on exams that I have completed valid extenuating circumstances forms that were approved by the university. I feel every step of my academic career has been a constant struggle due to the incompetence of my university.
Thank you for your time I do have more incidents at the university I wish to cover at some point.Many thanks,
Matthew Read
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your time I do have more incidents I wish to cover at some point. If possible, please could we arrange a phone call on(###) ###-#### or a meeting in order to discuss my circumstances.Many thanks,
Matthew Read
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
sorry didn't mean to send it twice
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 9 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 9 days ago.

This is currently an internal matter between you and the university.   While there is a legal dimension to it and instructing a solicitor now may add some value to this matter for you, equally, involving a solicitor at cost may inflame matters further between you and the university.

Do not get angry or upset with the university as they will only use it against you at a later date and you may say or do something that will prejudice your claim and damage your credibility.

If the university find against you, you may have a claim for Breach of Contract for which you may pursue the university for damages in the form of a refund on your course fees paid.

I recommend that you await the outcome of the internal process and then seek legal advice upon consideration of the result if it goes against you.

You may also lodge a formal complaint with the independent regulator and student advisory body for higher education providers.     These are:

The Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (“OFSTED”): https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ofsted;

The Education and Skills Funding Agency: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/education-and-skills-funding-agency; and

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator: https://www.oiahe.org.uk/.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 9 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd