How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My daughter was in a terrible abusive relationship both

Customer Question

Hello, my daughter was in a terrible abusive relationship both mentally and physically from the start but she was too afraid to leave him so she had a short fling with someone else and later found out she was pregnant, she assumed the baby was her current boyfriends and put his name on the birth certificate. After the baby was a couple of months old she arranged a dna test with the other lad to make sure the baby wasn’t his but he got his friend to supply a sperm sample and he sent the test off so when the results came back she was sure the baby was her current boyfriends. As time went on a rumour started saying he was the child’s father so when the child was 19 months they all did a dna test and it came back that he wasn’t the father , obviously all hell broke loose and his whole family were threatening her and her family with violence and saying that they’re going to take the child, my question is , is there any way we can get him off the birth certificate, she’s unemployed and suffers with ptsd so I’m trying to find out some information for her.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No because of the cost and they’ve taken the birth certificate and won’t give it back and we know they won’t be co operative, she’s alone & very vulnerable, she’s on Claire’s law and the police are aware of her abusive past, her ex has also just been found guilty of abusing another woman also.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do the ex live in?
Customer: They’re both in Wrexham.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think I’ve covered everything.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 16 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, after reading my question, are there any suggestions you can give please!
Expert:  RJM Law replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for the question. I am very sorry to hear about this matter.  The court have the power to change the birth certificate and also have the power to make the person surrender the one they have.  You will require to raise and action in the court and provide them with a DNA sample, however the court may order fresh testing to be done.  You must make it clear to the court that there was no intention of false paternity as this itself is a criminal offence, however your legal representative will ensure this is taken care of.  Once the court are satisfied of paternity, they can order the change of birth certificate to reflect the actual paternal situation.  If required you can also look at non-molestation order and/or occupation order against the ex boyfriend.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, I would like to continue on here.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 16 days ago.

I have responded above.