12826847

I have a speeding ticket court case, Uk, Yes, I was summoned

I have a speeding ticket court case
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Uk
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was summoned today, but when i attended the court clerk was not informed i was in court and they passed a judgement thinking i was no show

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

hi. How can I help?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I had a court summons today forna speeding ticket, i arrived in court 30mins before time but the court clerk was not informed of my presence and they passed a judgement on my case assuming i was a no show

Ok, so what would you like to know?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
At the end i was asked if i wanted stay of justice, reopen the case, but felt badgered cause i was put inder pressure to plead guilty or not guilty

So did you plead guilty?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What are my best options, although i had admitted i was the driver of the car, i was awarded 3 points rather than a speed awareness course which is usually offered to first time offenders.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I declined to plead and they just said they will reopen it with a plead of not guilty
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The reason they gave for not offering speed awareness course was because it was over 3 months from the time of alleged offence, but this was because initial letters were sent to old address

Thanks for the information

To be honest, absolutely none at all.

If you refused to enter a plea then their only option was to enter a not guilty plea and conduct trial. Since you did not raise a defence it isn't really particularly surprising they convicted.

If the issue here is that you think you should have been entitled to the speed awareness course then I'm afraid that view is simply misconceived. Nobody is entitled to the course and coma in fact it is never offered at court. It is essentially discretion of the police. They chose not to exercise their discretion in your favour and they are entitled to do that but it was nothing to do with the court and three points is the minimum that you can get at court.

You do have the option to appeal to the Crown Court within 21 days of sentence but there really isn't any point here

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What about the fact that i was in court and due to an error on their part they assumed i did not turn up in court

Since you weren't convicted in absence, its a non issue

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
But they did, it was only when someone notified them after close of court that i was waiting and had been there for a while that they suggested to reopen the judgement, which they couldnt do immediately as everyone had gone home

Yes, but since they asked you to plead and you refused so they directed a not guilty plea, you weren't convicted in absence.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no option of avoiding the 3 points?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Or should i have pleaded guilty?

Yes, you should probably have pleaded.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I did not refuse, i only said at this point i was requesting the case to be reopened as they had initially passed judgement in my absence and would prefer to plead when i have been given a new date, and i just went mute

Yes, that is refusing.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Not sure if ive made my case worse or not, the 3 points will affect my career and family life negatively
Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Oh no, its really minor. It will have no impact at all.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
But i have a naturalisation application due end of the year and this may affect good character assessment

It won't make any difference. Its not a recordable offence.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.