How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5426
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am an unemployed teacher. I want to know if I qualify for

Customer Question

I am an unemployed teacher. I want to know if I qualify for legal aid. The Managing Agents of my home have initiated proceeding to recover Service Charges owed. But I have had no service during the pandemic at all. In fact I must try to recover £10,000 excess insurance costs for extensive water damage to my property while the Managing Agents sat idling by at my expense.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Barbican, London City EC1.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have 2 years of correspondence which have been futile in resolving the issues. I am now in considerable debt resulting from Managing Agents negligence and incompetence.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I need legal aid help asap.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

From reading your question, legal aid would not be available for this matter. Legal aid is very limited and not there for financial disputes.

You would need to either pay privately, self represent or find a firm offering a no win no fee or a pro Bono. Basis.

The following links would help you find such firms.

The following two links will take you to where you may find solicitors who can assist, on either a free probono basis or on a no win no fee basis. Very often they deal with clients who cannot afford to pay for legal assistance and for whom legal aid is not available. The second is

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am getting nowhere fast - just going round in circles
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Sorry to hear that , but legal aid does not cover all subject and cases.

The advice above would apply.