How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80754
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If a female on remand was taken advantage of by way of

Customer Question

If a female on remand was taken advantage of by way of sexual misconduct. Can I sue the prison and is 20 just to long ago?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Cornwall but it happened in Newhall prison
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, but I've not got long to live 4 years max and I just want the people who used me to know how it hurts.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Maybe!, when I was 18 A guy in a gold Rolls pulled up to me to offered a lift and yes I got in I even used the phone in his car to phone my home to say I was on way home only he took me way out to sherwood forest raped me badly told me he was going to kill me, he strangled me till I passed out! I awoke in pain petrified I told no one and I even forgot about it until my late 30s but that was the worst experience of my life. He's probably dead but I do want his family to know he was a monster He picked up working girls so there r other victims
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

You could in principle, but I'm afraid you are out of time.

This is basically a person injury claim for which you have 3 years to issue.

Even if you put it on the basis of assault you would still only have 6 years.

If he is dead then he can't be reported to the police and, also, historical prosecutions do not attract good results.

You can apply to extend limitation but its pretty rigidly enforced I'm afraid.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.