Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

My landlord wants to repossess his house because I am late

my landlord wants to repossess his house because I am late in rent payment .
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: London
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

How many weeks/months late and has the landlord handed a repossession notice yet?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
5 months late but not a continuous 5 months but calculating the amount own sum up to five months
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
notice of intend to
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can we chat for now
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think i will be ok to chat for now

Thanks for the information.

Based on the info provided, the landlord can seek repossession of the home as the law states he can serve a repossession notice where rent arrears amounts to 4 months or more.

Therefore this is one you should consider finding an alternative place to stay.

However don't feel pressured into moving out immediately even if you have rent arrears, especially if you have nowhere to move to eviction legal process takes time.

I should also state that you can usually get universal credit if you're on a low income.

Universal credit includes a housing element to help with rent.

You can ask the DWP to pay your housing element direct to your landlord since you owe at least 2 months rent.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
but i have responded to his and promise to pay the rent arrears this month and next month
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can he still go on with the repossession?

Unfortunately, yes he can still proceed with the repossession once he has served his notice.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks. But lastly he us meeting me to for further discussion about response to pay. What can I say legally in addition to make matters settle?

Try and reach a payment plan with the landlord if you can.

Further please review the link carefully as this will give you a great guide on what to do in such circumstances.

Understanding the possession action process: A guide for private residential tenants in England and Wales - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).

Thanks and have a good day.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks very much. It has been very helpful.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello Sir
This morning I was paying £5.00 for our conversation but instead paid £50.00. Pls, can you check and refund the difference to me pls. Thanks
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Screenshot of the payment
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Please contact customer service as i do not deal with payment matter and have no control over it too.