How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 24625
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have a slight problem, I have been in England for almost

Customer Question

Hello, I have a slight problem, I have been in England for almost 40 years and no one understood my surname so I started using my stepfathers name but now I would like to change it back but I don’t know where to start?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: I have not talked to a lawyer before and am from Czech Republic
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I was gonna go to my bank and start there. My passport and driving license is in my real surname but the rest is in smith
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: how much will it cost? Am unemployed
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Which other documents do you wish to have it changed on?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, I have passport and driving license in my birth name so I would like to change everything else. Also it said I will need to pay £5 not £55?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost.  It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time.  So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later.  It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

You obviously need to decide what name you are going to use and then you can either do a Deed Poll or Statutory declaration with regard to your change of name.

A Deed Poll is completed by you and simply witnessed by someone independent.

The statutory declaration needs drafting by one person and then swearing in front of a solicitor for which there is a fixed fee of 5 pounds.

There is no need to register it anywhere except to let the various organisations have a copy of the document with whom you want to change your name.

I can submit a premium services proposal for you to let you have either or both documents and you would just need to fill in your name and address and the various details.

It’s optional extra.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards