How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3479
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have just been asked to provide my Social Security card re

Customer Question

I have just been asked to provide my Social Security card re a particular financial issue, not the number but the very card itself. I’m now 87, started working when I was 15 or 16, and have never since then been required to show a card (since part time high school years at Woolworths, my only other earnings have come from teaching in universities, finally retiring in 2000 as Professor of English at Boston College.) Original card is long since gone. How can I get a replacement?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I now live in Glasgow, Scotland, but of course retain my US citizenship and pay taxes in both countries.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve looked at the SS website, which seems to require a US address.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: only difficulty I can think of is that I am a bit disabled re walking and also I am “Sheltered” re COVID which is particularly bad in Scotland right now, so travel is not feasible.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 15 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  I am not sure who has asked you to hand over the physical card, but this does send up some red flags for me.  I would not advise surrounding the physical card to anyone, if this is a government agency such as the social services, I would ask for them to prove on authority that you are required to do this, otherwise it does seem a bit dubious to me.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.