Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My son has bought a ford transit van which he has had for 18

my son has bought a ford transit van which he has had for 18 months. The other day he noticed that he had oil in his coolant reservoir and took it to the main Ford dealer where he bought it from.They said it need a new engine
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: and as a goodwill gesture they would pay half of the cost.this is in England in Poole Dorset.So he agreed and they fitted the new engine with a full 1 years warrenty.So he pick up the on thursday night after work paid his half of the bill and drove the van home.looking under the bonnet he discovered
Customer: and as a goodwill gesture they would pay half of the cost.this is in England in Poole Dorset.So he agreed and they fitted the new engine with a full 1 years warrenty.So he pick up the on thursday night after work paid his half of the bill and drove the van home.looking under the bonnet he discovered
Customer: and as a goodwill gesture they would pay half of the cost.this is in England in Poole Dorset.So he agreed and they fitted the new engine with a full 1 years warrenty.So he pick up the on thursday night after work paid his half of the bill and drove the van home.looking under the bonnet he discovered
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: that there was no coolant in the radiator they said they had taken the van for a test drive of over 25 miles.Which means that there could be considerable damage done to the engine.He took the van back the same night on 09/09/21 for them to look at.They said the water pump had cracked and needed to be replaced.My worry is that there could be a lot of damage done to the new engine and could affect the warranty I have confronted the reception desk about my concerns and said they should replace the engine but they say that is not possible. In my opinion I think someone has forgotten to put the coolant in.All they are prepared to do is replace the water pump.Which I don,t think is good enough.were do we stand legally
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am doing this inquire on behalf of my son how is working at the moment.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would like to know what legal rights we have as far as the repair to the van goes as they were responsible for the fuilds in the van before my son drove it away.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues he has experienced in his situation.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. That is something which should be negotiated between the two parties. Similarly, they will still be liable for any issues caused by their negligence, even if it falls outside of the warranty terms.

As replacing the engine is unlikely to be considered reasonable at this stage, purely on a ‘what if’ basis, he should know that they would be reposnsible if anything happens to the engine as a result of their failure to put the coolant in.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for the advice it was very helpful.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best