JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

We have been advised to contact you by the metropolitian

Customer Question

we have been advised to contact you by the metropolitian police regardinga 50k bank scam
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: north yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: reported to bank fraud squad and recieved 18k back but we were told that was all they could do
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i dont think so
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Can you give me all the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
was contacted by unkown woman saying she was from my bank saying someone was trying to take money from my account and gave me the number of a fraud squad on ringing them a man gave me bank details of a safe account to move my money into upon realising our mistake and reporting it to the bank we have had 18k back but were told that was all they could do recived phone call from metropoltian police yesterday advising us to contact you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

thank you - not my area therefore I will opt out for another expert.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

The first thing to do is to report this to the Police and to Action Fraud so that you can obtain a crime reference number. The Action Fraud website where you can report the crime is here: Action Fraud

It seems your bank has recovered £18,000 and no more. They will have charged back the funds - the rest of the funds have probably been moved so a chargeback for the full sum would not be possible. You could make a complaint to the bank and if they do not uphold the complaint, ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to help : https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

There are a few companies who can claim to retrieve monies taken by a scammer but in reality they are also scams - the first scammer sells your data to another scammer. Once a scammer has the money it would be very difficult to sue them (most of them being based abroad) and even if you obtained a CCJ against them, enforcing it is another matter.

We cannot recover the money for you as we are not a law firm but an internet forum. We simply give information and guidance from a legal standpoint.

You can try any of these regulated law firms to see if they can recover the money for you:

They should be able to help you with a no win no fee agreement so that you do not have to pay anything up front to them. These are regulated law firms in the UK.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim