Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am a self employed worker in healthcare who has a

I am a self employed worker in healthcare who has a challenging client, who is not providing adequate safety. I want to exit the position in the most legal manner possible. They can get very threatening. I do not have a write contract. I also live in a property rented from them at workers rates, but they have been unwilling to provide details of how long I can live here for after the job finishes.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Southampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked for safety measures to be put in place but they argue and are slow to action these. My place of work has no fire exit, and I’m looking after a vulnerable person who has severe Mobility problem and needs two people to help him which they will not provide. I talk with the boss and she yells at me and blames me for things not being actioned, or denies her negative behaviour. It is more difficult because these people are high profile. I have called a meeting for next week and am waiting for a response
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I thinks that’s it thank you.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello yes

What is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I need to know if I am operating in my best interest and the best legal way to approach this situation without it escalating
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I want them to provide adequate staffing levels or I will have to leave

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If you are wishing to terminate your working relationship with the client as son as possible, you can always accuse them of acting in serious breach of contract and in violation of health and safety obligations and terminate the contract with immediate effect. If the workplace is not safe for you, you cannot be forced to work there and should not be penalised for exiting the contract without completing any further work for them.

In the end, there is only so much you can do to try and make them introduce the required changes. If you have raised the issues with them, given them the opportunity to resolve them and they have unreasonably failed to do so, you may be left with no other option but to terminate the contract with immediate effect.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.