Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

What sort of lawyer barrister do I need for Dividing

what sort of lawyer barrister do I need for Dividing business interests when you separate if you were living together
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have a lawyer from Stowe who is handling the property share out but he feels he does not have enough expertise in the field of business claims. So I have done nothing yet I have proof that over 28 years how I contributed towards the starting and continuing the farm and haulage and now a quarry businesses
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: basically the farm business is making specialist hay, haylage for horses which started small and now sells over 600 bales at an average £30 a pop I contributed my land free I helped in many ways with he business and never took a penny out as it was agreed it was for our children, The same with the other two businesses invested and worked on them and received nothing but a promise it was all for our children It never materialised

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

To clarify - you were never married?

but partners in business? was anything written or agreed that you can evidence?

and he uses your land for this business?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not married and the claim is for 3 different businesses which I contributed to financially manually and technically, and also kept the whole family for 28 years he contributed nothing to the family outgoings or shared out any profit, saying it was being invested in to the companies business for the children

Stowe are a very well respected and competent firm of family lawyers and I am amazed that they do not have someone in the firm who can deal with the business asset element of a divorce because divorcing couples very often have a business.

I would ask why he can’t refer it to anybody else in the firm.

However you refer to a business claim.  This isn’t so much a business claim is a claim over an asset.

What kind of glory do you need?  Surprising that may seem, a divorce lawyer that actually knows what they are doing with regard to business.  You have the right kind of lawyer, you just have one doesn’t know what he is doing.

I’m sorry to be so blunt.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please be blunt to do an asset claim what is this called in legal terms and what sort of lawyer would I need? If mine wont then maybe i should inform him of this asset approach or do you know of a firm who have this type of lawyer I was not married
to my ex partner just cohabiting for 28 years

If you weren’t married, then it doesn’t become a family matter and you need someone who is familiar with partnership law because you are dealing with the breakup of the partnership (or a limited company) rather than the breakup of a relationship.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you any final advice or guidance and could i persue assets or partnership claims

Under the 1890 partnership act there is no provision for one person to retire or die and if they want out, the partnership is dissolved.

That is if there is no agreement.

It gets worse.

If one partner stays home drinks tea and watches Jeremy Kyle and does nothing and the other one does all the work, the profits are split 50-50 if there is no agreement to the contrary.  Many pseudo-partnerships fall foul of that when they break up