plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I need to sign father's will and related documents, but the

Hi Pearl I need to sign father's will and related documents, but the signatures need to be witnessed. I'm only in London today (10th sept), Staying in Soho. Do you know a lawyer who could help me? Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm staying in Dean Street, Soho, London.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have 4-5 documents: his will, affidavit for the supreme court, and investment records. My father's estate is being handled in Sydney Australia, but they will accept a London lawyer who is certified to witness legal docs.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of...I've not done this before. Thank you so much for your help.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I'm only in London for 1 day - as I have to go back to Paris tomorrow (where I live). I was hoping to get this signed and witnessed in France but they need all the docs professionally translated...
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Peter: but can you confirm that I'm not yet incurring any fees?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Dear Peter, Sorry: I'd like to cancel my request. And my membership. Regards, Paul

There are no fees being incurred by carrying on online.

This firm here deal with wills and probate matters and are very close to you:

DAVID TANG AND CO

Suite 8 Nassau House,
122 Shaftesbury Avenue,
London, W1D 5ER

Tel:***********/p>

Obviously if it is your father's will that needs signing, he need to be present to sign and so do two witnesses.

I'm actually based near Poitiers and can witness documents (being a practising UK barrister) so if it comes to it may be able to assist if you can't get this sorted in London today.

Obviously if you are there now, it makes sense to try and sort this before returning home.

If these can;t assist, you will need to look slightly further afield, the search option here should help: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. My father died earlier this year. I simply need to sign the will before it's presented to the Supreme Court in Australia for probate. Can I come over now? Could you tell me how much it would be? I have 4 docs. Thank you

I understand and I'm sorry for your loss.

You will need to telephone the firm suggested on the number in the reply above to make an appointment.

It won't take long, and the fee should be minimal as its just witnessing a document. You could simply turn up - but I'd phone first to make sure someone is there in person to assist.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. The trouble is my phone doesn't work here. It's a French phone service and post-Brexit I cannot get a signal. I'm in the hotel lobby. I'll turn up at your office in about 30 minutes - and try and book a meeting this afternoon if they can't see me now. Much appreciate your help Thanks.

Understood. Just to be clear this isn't my firm you are going to - the details I have given you are for a firm in London that I have found online for you by searching your location.

Fingers crossed they can assist.

Thanks for your question today, and for visiting just answer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Great thanks!

Pleasure.