Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I had a conversation with Gary over the phone on some issues

I had a conversation with Gary over the phone on some issues about a property I look after. This Gary is the oversea landlord’s friend. He told me he will record the conversation but he didn’t say he will use it as legal reason. Later he gave this private conversation record to a solicitor and threatened me over what I said in the conversation. I am asking “did Gary have the right to give this conversation record to solicitor or for court legal use against me?”

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

Even non-consensual covert audio or video recordings can be used as admissible evidence in UK legal proceedings, under

Rule 32.1 of the civil procedure code. However , The Judge has to undertake a balancing exercise to determine what is fair between getting to the truth and restricting recordings obtained improperly.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh, I found that without the both parties consent the record can’t be used as the third party.

In the court , it can be used.

As an evidence.