Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We were representing ourselves as Litigant in Person in

Hello! We were representing ourselves as Litigant in Person in contract Law dispute at High Court in London. We have won the judgment. Along with the judgment we were served court order. As par this court order we are awarded full amount of unpaid invoices plus interest. We are also awarded certain interim payment of costs to be paid by 29 September. For further costs cost budget judge should decide. There are also directions for steps to be made before second trial (to deal with assessment of our damages - split trial was ordered). We assume that Defendant will try to appeal. Does appeal stop enforcement of judgment, interim payment and what happens with second trial?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: High Court judgment has been handed down
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Hello! We were representing ourselves as Litigant in Person in contract Law dispute at High Court in London. We have won the judgment. Along with the judgment we were served court order. As par this court order we are awarded full amount of unpaid invoices plus interest. We are also awarded certain interim payment of costs to be paid by 29 September. For further costs cost budget judge should decide. There are also directions for steps to be made before second trial (to deal with assessment of our damages - split trial was ordered). We assume that Defendant will try to appeal. Does appeal stop enforcement of judgment, interim payment and what happens with second trial?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Continue search

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Does appeal stop enforcement of judgment, interim payment and what happens with second trial?

No. Once you have an order for Judgment, that Court order remains UNLESS it is stayed or overturned.

So no, it does not automatically get suspended.

It can be enforced.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But with an appeal can it be requested that order is stayed?Furrhermore, in the order there is precise date until part of costs need to be paid, that is 29 September until 4:30pm. What happens if this is not paid until then?

They can request but it won’t necessarily be granted,

if not paid, then you can send in bailiffs.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
1. The Company is not UK based, does this mean that we first have to enforce judgment in their country.
2. Should we write to their solicitors first informing them how they can do payment if they want?
3. How long does it take for them to try to get order stayed? They have 21 days to appeal and probably with appeal they'll request order to be stayed, but how long can it take for this to be granted or rejected?

1. Yes you would need to enforce it there unless they have assets in the UK

2. Yes you can do that.

3. It depends on how long a Judge takes to look at the application. Really depends on the Court.

I hope that helps.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor