Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Due to covid lazy year my neighbour of 25yrs has changed she

Customer Question

Due to covid lazy year my neighbour of 25yrs has changed she hosed me in face anyway we dnt talk I want to knw were I stand theyv put up cctv rotation camera it's above there backdoor that is about 7ft from our backdoor and facing a hut can't see over we have a large back garden so why not put in middle of house is this right as it's getting all my garden and they record to as I have heard it when I was out back with my dog an they were out back while doing this to let other people visiting them to hear me talk to dog an probably show me were are my rights I am a council Tenant
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Lanarkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoke to police about the full scale going ons and about the cctv watching us they said they can't do nothing really need to take up with council I don't want repercussions so I have not contacted I just want advice if camera should be so close
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It's just the cctv camera bothering me mostly as no privacy I had a neice visit other day hadn't seen in over year an half and they constantly soak through fence an we get wet to a have got this all logged dwn an pokice have log of it an council but not for the cctv camera for council yet
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

They should not have a CCTV camera facing directly into your property it should be covering their property only where possible for example if it is at the back of their house it should look into their garden. If at the front, it should be directed down on their driveway and front door. You can contact the information commissioners office (ICO) here: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-being-filmed/

You could also think about legal action for breach of privacy.

If you want to bring a legal case you should complete a claim form using form N1 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

Once done send it to your nearest county court: https://www.gov.uk/find-court-tribunal

You will need to contact them and pay the issue fee. I trust this assists