How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3082
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

It has been 6 months since I departed (13 March, 2021) from

This answer was rated:

Hi there, it has been 6 months since I departed (13 March, 2021) from a flat and I still have not received my deposit back. It was found that not only was my deposit not covered for 2 years but I was also being charged illegal fees (checkout fees by the agent). He was still disputing these fees despite the info passed onto him on the Tenancy Act 2019.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: London, UK. No I haven’t spoken to a lawyer yet but have spoken to Citizen’s Advice Bureau and many other agencies.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have given an ultimatum and tried calling, left voicemails and followed up with e-mails to which I have received no answer.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The agent has asked the landlord to make a transfer (assuming charge for the check out fee which he was trying to charge me). The landlord confirmed that the transfer was made last Friday so i don’t understand the delay for returning the deposit.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

If it is already 6 months since you left and your deposit has not been returned then you can recover it via a small claims court proceedings.

Before you start a court claim, you must send your landlord a letter before action, demanding back the deposit within 14 days.

If your Landlord still fails to refund your deposit, then you can start your court claim online using the below link-

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Vineet, many thanks for your message. I sent an e-mail to both landlord and agent last Wednesday stating giving an ultimatum of 7 days to return the deposit. The landlord agreed to make a transfer I assume to cover the check out fees to the agent which the agent is now charging me. The landlord confirmed that he made the transfer last Friday 3 September. Is there anything else which needs to be included in the letter and does it need to be physically posted or can it be e-mailed? Also to note that the landlord dropped any previous charges when I raised the issue of my deposit not being covered for 2+ years and puts the responsibility on the agent’s behaviour for not returning my deposit.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry I didn’t realise the phone call is £44.00. Please disregard my request for a telephone call.

You need to send a formal letter before claim .

You can use the below template for it.

I am not available at the moment for a phone call but other experts are free to contact you. as the call request is open to all experts. If you would like to cancel the call then please contact Just Answer`s Customers team , by clicking the below weblink-

or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/em>

I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

Vineet S and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you