How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14747
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have been in contact with a Baliff and asked to set up a

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have been in contact with a Baliff and asked to set up a payment plant but he has refused saying he needed the whole amount. Am i in my rights to expect a payment plan
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Nottingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have phoned him up because a letter came through my door. He stated that the had sent me 2 letters and i ignored them but i only recieved the one that was put through my door yesterday. I am living with my elderly parents and all the items in their house is theirs. He asked for reciepts but i explained that they do not have any because the furniture is years old. In the end he said give him 3 to 4 hours while he makes phone calls but i have not heard back from him. This was yesterday afternoon at 13.45
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

The creditor and the bailiff do not need to accept payment plan. If you owe a sum of money, the full sum is due unless the creditor accepts a proposal to pay by instalments.
They usually ask for receipts and evidence - so there is nothing unusual with their request. What I would recommend is you reply to them, or have Step Change (a free to use debt charity) to speak to them for you and to negotiate a payment plan. This would take the stress out of the situation for you - as it's free, there is no reason why you shouldn't do this so I would recommend you ask Step Change to take over and deal with this for you - their website is here:

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,