Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Do you have anyone experienced in the process of making

Customer Question

Do you have anyone experienced in the process of making Escrow payments in the UK?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: England
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Are you a real person or a robot?
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am trying to recover funds allegedly held in an Escrow account. I am being asked to pay an Escrow Discharge supplement upfront. Is this normal or legal?. I have a 'guarantee'. this would be refunded. Can this be enforced?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

How did you get involved in this to start with? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with general information, which hopefully will still be useful to you. Everything you have told me has the common hallmarks of a scam. That is especially because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are numerous variations of such scams, the best way to explain how they work is to identify certain 'red flags' which are often present in their build-up. The following are the most common ones:

- Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever been involved with the persons/organizations concerned so it would be unexpected

- Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money. There are various reasons quoted for this, such as taxes, clearance fees, administrative costs, legal fees, etc. This is where the advance payment part of the scam comes in. In this case they have used the made-up reason of the ‘escrow discharge supplement’

- Tempted by their promises, the requested fees are paid in good faith.

- However, once the money has been sent, the fraudsters either stop all contact and run away with your money, or they return and ask for further fees for different, often unexpected, reasons

The guarantee won’t be worth the paper it is written on, if it is not coming from a genuine party.

The key now is to not proceed any further with this. Cease all communications with them and certainly do not send money if asked to, no matter what they say.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.