Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I am under severe financial pressure and I am having a

Customer Question

I am under severe financial pressure and I am having a mental health crisis. I have a bankruptcy hearing next week and I am having problems coping under the stress of an aggressive creditor. I need a mental health professional to help me with a standard moratorium under Mental Health Crissis.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have a GP appointment Monday. I hope to get a referral to a Mental Health professional. However this will take too long. They told me that CAB have the authority to arrange a 60 day moratorium.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no i dont think so
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My GP supports my requirement and can refer me if you find one. I need to have been interviewed on Monday, Tuesday morning latest, to get the order in place, please help. I can do the interview by zoom if required
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I sympathise with your predicament, but lack of finances (which lawyers call “impecuniosity”), bankruptcy and even death do not automatically terminate, void, or rescind a contract and none of those external factors are a defence to debt or breach of contract.

I know that it is unfair in the grand scheme of things and I fully understand the mental and emotional turmoil that commercial business disputes, litigation, and bankruptcy cause people but unfortunately the law is very cold and objective in its application.

Having said that, if you inform the other party that you are impecunious to pay the debt and have insufficient cash and assets to pay your creditors if you were made bankrupt, it is unlikely that the other party will go to the time and expense of pursuing you through the court or making you bankrupt as there would be no economic benefit of so doing.

I suggest that you negotiate repayment by instalments with the other party.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd