How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8302
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My ex partner is not allowing me access to my daughter. We

Customer Question

My ex partner is not allowing me access to my daughter. We make arrangements and she changes it.
JA: Where is your ex partner? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps has your ex partner taken so far?
Customer: we make arrangements and when it comes close to the arrangements, she makes other plans, not allowing me to see my daughter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that’s all thankyou
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

How old is your daughter please and how often are you seeing her at the moment? Just to clarify - there are no current court orders in place?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My daughter is 1 years old, been allowed 3/4 hours total in the past week, no there are currently no court cases.
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** 3/4 hours a week is not a lot of contact, if I'm honest. You should be seeing much more of her than that, even as a 1 year old. I'll set out the route to getting a more formal agreement in place now.

Mediation has to be the first point of call as it is a legal requirement prior to issuing an application in the family court.

Normally you have to start this process by attending family mediation - see here for a link to find your local mediator: Assessments are usually around £50, and the mediator will advise as to how many sessions might be required. Mediation is a collaborative approach and allows you to talk through issues and concerns in a safe and protective environment.

Following that, if the mediation does not succeed in a successful agreement, you can apply to the family court for a child arrangements order (see below description), setting out the living arrangements and contact arrangements that you would like to see.

You would apply on a c100 form, here:

You send 3 copies of this form to the local family court centre.

Alternatively, you can apply online:

There will be a court hearing after you apply and a family court adviser will be there in attendance too (from CAFCASS).

The application costs £215.00, and you can represent yourself so you don't need to engage a lawyer. You can also possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings.

For this you would need to fill out a fee exemption form:

I hope that this helps you today?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thankyou very much
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

My pleasure.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.