RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

How much would it cost to ask a question please? I don't

Hi, how much would it cost to ask a question please?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: I don't know if this is something your company can advise on? I had an online shop on the platform Etsy. I listed and sold a brooch of the character Betty Boop which I sourced and purchased from Chinese website Alibaba.com. I then got an email from a US solicitor saying that I am besing sued by Fleicher the people who own the Betty Boop rights for copyright infringement. I don't know what to do, I repkied to say I have stopped delling this item and my online shop is closed they replied to say I could pay 2,500 dollars to settle. I just now recieved another email detailing the charges and saying I have to respond within 21 days or the court will rule in my absence
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don't know if this is something your company can advise on? I had an online shop on the platform Etsy. I listed and sold a brooch of the character Betty Boop which I sourced and purchased from Chinese website Alibaba.com. I then got an email from a US solicitor saying that I am besing sued by Fleicher the people who own the Betty Boop rights for copyright infringement. I don't know what to do, I repkied to say I have stopped delling this item and my online shop is closed they replied to say I could pay 2,500 dollars to settle. I just now recieved another email detailing the charges and saying I have to respond within 21 days or the court will rule in my absence, I can forward the emails they sent

Hello, do you have a copy of the email?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I forward all the emails that they have sent? To where?

There should be a paperclip icon that will allow you to upload them.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can't see one

I have a different screen from you so I am not sure, you could ask the admin team, I do know it is possible.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, can't see anyway to send them, I just need to forward 3 emails that contain attachments

If you speak to the admin team they will be able to advise how to do this, I am afraid I don't know.  I do know it is possible.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (15LM45V)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
attached is the first contact from Etsy saying they had been contacted. I hope you can see it?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also the subsequant email exchange
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Emails are from an American law firm
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can you read them?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, could you confirm if you can see the emails? I'm super stressed about it all!

Thank you and apologies for the delay.   I was not working yesterday.  There is something about this matter that is not sitting right with me, so I have taken the last half hour to deeply look into this (you will not be charged for this time as I did it on my own time).  I think this is a scam.  Here is the reasoning for my thoughts.

They have not qualified the amount they have asked you to pay, they have just stated $2500.oo with no reason.

They have said that if you pay it they will reinstate your account,  they do not have the power to do this, also, why would they allow you to keep selling something infringing on their trademark, does not make sense.

So I looked into this company.   Firstly, very basic, GoDaddy page with spelling errors on it and very little information.  I did try to call them but my phone will not let me call internationally I'm afraid. I looked at the staff member, they all seem to be qualified at a Supreme Court level but little else, as a lawyer I find that HIGHLY suspicious.  Secondly there is little about these "attorneys" online and there are no pictures of them either.

The email is very short and provides absolutely no legal basis for their claim (you are reselling you did not make these).  And finally the company they "claim" is their client ceased to exist in 1958 and is not Paramount Cartoon Studio so this company doesn't actually exist anymore apart from in the history books.   Therefore, my advice is as follows.

Raise an official complaint to Etsy, state they are at fault and should be doing their due diligence in relation to these bogus law firm, as a result of suspending your account without doing due diligence, you have lost money and should be compensated.  Etsy should be aware of this as I have found the same company sending various emails to Etsy users about the same thing, HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS that this same company would represent all the client's of people selling on Etsy.  I think this is absolute bogus!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Wow! I was suspicious, I was thinking if they taegeted and trawled a number of sellers like me, at least some would just freak out and pay the settlement fee. Thankyou so much for your verdict, I will do as you suggest.

That is exactly what they were hoping for, and a lot of people will sadly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Wow, yes, I pretty much settled to the fact that I would have to pay. I'm really grateful for your advice, thankyou