How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8325
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Cohabiting partner, England, nothing just curious for our

This answer was rated:

Cohabiting partner
JA: Where is the partner? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps has the partner taken so far?
Customer: nothing just curious for our situation because I owned the house without mortgage and we are living together since 2018
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he is paying the gas & electric plus internet and i am paying council tax and tv license

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, I’m just curious about my situation

Can I check - are you married?

Has your partner contributed towards the value of the house, or improved the house in any way?

Did you own the house before they moved in?

Are you asking whether they have any rights to the property itself?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No we are not married
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He paid recently the changed of doors and double glazed windows and I wanna give him back the £20K so there’s no argument about his contribution
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I bought the house without mortgage before he moved in
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I wanna know if we will carry on as a partner if he will have a right in the future.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I want to protect my ownership. That’s why I wanna pay him the £20K he spent, because I don’t want any monetary argument in the future.

Absolutely - I think this is a good idea.

If he has contributed to the property through renovations, he may have a claim. If you have paid him back this amount, then simply him living there and paying some of the bills would not give him an automatic right to claim on your property as a co-habitee.

It's generally only contributions towards the property itself that give rise to a claim, particularly given the fact you owned it prior to him moving in.

Can I clarify anything further for you today about this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would like to pay him 20K, can i do this black and white stipulating that this money is for the doors and windows renovation? He is happy to sign. And how to make this valid? Do I have to submit it to the solicitor or a document between us is enough and legal?

Yes you can do this between you, and if you make a document that you both sign, as long as you keep a copy then you should be protected in the event of a dispute. You don't need to run this past a solicitor.

I hope that this answers your final questions about this today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
one more thing, I forgot ths one..he is giving me £1000 monthly for our groceries, toiletries and house expenses. Is that will create any claim in the future? That’s the last bit.

Of course, happy to help. Well no, none of this money is going towards the house itself or being invested in the property.

So he's not investing in the capital of the property and doesn't have a claim on it by simply contributing towards living expenses.

Hopefully that has cleared the last part up for you.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks so much i am very pleased for the advice!!!

Very happy to have helped. Take care.

plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you