How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3097
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

My landlord just pulled out of a tenancy contract, I'm based

Customer Question

My landlord just pulled out of a tenancy contract
JA: Where is your landlord? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm based in London, he's based in America but using agency based in UK ( foxtons)
JA: What steps has your landlord taken so far?
Customer: Nothing at the Moment but informed me through agency
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The tenancy agreement is to start In 1 week
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 18 days ago.

Hi there,

Could you please confirm if the tenancy agreement has been signed and payment of holding deposit and rent has been taken from you?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
everything as been taken from me
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Credit checked
Expert:  Vineet S replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your reply. I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 18 days ago.

Hi there,

A binding contract has been formed and you can get the tenancy enforced .

Any party can not unilaterally withdraw from the contract once it is formed.

You can either move to court for enforcing the tenancy agreement by filling injunction orders and can also ask for compensation for the breach of contract by the Landlord and your inconveniences .

Expert:  Vineet S replied 18 days ago.

You can ask for compensation for all the losses you have suffered due to breach of the contract by the Landlord, including any loss of earnings.

The basic principle when calculating damages is that the tenant will be put back in the position they were in as if the contract had been fulfilled. So if the tenants end up in accommodation that costs more or has a longer commute, they can claim for the costs associated directly linked with the breach.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 18 days ago.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
this is a lot to handle,
the landlord first rearranged the first contract agreement of a two-year clause termination to a 12 a month clause termination, how do i go about doing exactly the compensation progress
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i only have one week and 3 days left at my current place
Expert:  Vineet S replied 17 days ago.

You need to notify the Agents that you would be moving to the court for enforcing the contract and for compensation , however be aware that legal proceedings do take time.

You need to find a alternative accommodation and then pursue the legal claim.


To make an emergency application to the court for an injunction orders, enforcing the contract.

In those circumstances, the application is made ‘without notice’. This means that the respondent would not be aware that the order is being made and nor would they be present at the hearing. If an order is granted on this basis, the Court will list a further ‘return’ hearing when the respondent will be required to attend once they have been served with the application and emergency order made.

However, in your case, you would need the get the access from the Agents to gain entry into the property.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 17 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.