Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Apologies, I was on lineyesterday but had to quickly exit

Customer Question

Apologies, I was on lineyesterday but had to quickly exit due to afamily matter My daughter purchaseda Dyson V6 vacuum cleaner a few years ago for us. Early in January it stopped working and my wife contacted Dyson by phone to purchasea new battery as advised but was told due to the pandemic it was out of stock and due in 4-6 weeks.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: This lead to a series of phone calls over the next 2-3 months. Always due in 4-6 weeks. I then contacted Dyson support on line and after months and numerous e-mails to and fro I got the same answer. Due in 4-6 weeks. I then sent a letter by post with copies of some of the e-mails to their Dublin address and heard nothing back . I then resent the same correspondence but another covering letter by registered post and heard nothing. I
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My question is there anything else I can do as they are selling newer models with batteries
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think I have covered everything
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Where as the Dyson purchased from?

and when was this?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

As you may be aware, under the Consumer Rights Act liability rests with the dealer although some manufacturers (Dyson are very helpful I understand) will deal directly. However it’s not very helpful if they don’t actually have the spares.

Legally however you only have recourse to whoever you purchased it from.

You can buy batteries for these cheap on the Internet but the non-genuine batteries have been known to catch fire.  It happened to a good friend of mine’s daughter.

If you are buying a battery online be careful because they are sometimes described as “Genuine Battery” (rather than Genuine Dyson).

For example, there are dozens listed on eBay (I have been where you are) but there are only a couple of genuine ones at about 65 quid.

You cannot do anything about the manufacturer not supplying you.

You may have a remedy under the Consumer Rights Act against the retailer (who may be the manufacturer) for failing to supply goods of satisfactory quality but a lot would depend on how long you had had the item.

Goods have to remain of satisfactory quality for up to 6 years but how long really depends on the nature of the goods because you would not expect a 10p ballpoint pen to remain of satisfactory quality for 6 years, but you would expect washing machine and probably a vacuum cleaner