How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14788
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I was due to go on holiday at the beginning of March 2019,

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** was due to go on holiday at the beginning of March 2019, had booked in a hotel at Gatwick the day before travelling to Norway, unfortunately that night I became unwell with a sickness or stomach bug rendering me unfit for travel, on my return home I asked my doctor for a letter so as I could submit this to my insurers, unfortunately the doctor refused, giving no explanation , which has left me some £4000 out of pocket, can you please help in anyway
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in UK, and I haven't spoken to anyone yet
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Haven't taken any so far, last year I thought about it but with lock down wasn't sure if I could do anything
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: On my return from Gatwick, I was still in well and subsequently had to see a doctor on I think the Wednesday of that week
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

I would recommend you try an online GP consultation to ask if they can provide a letter which you need for the insurer. The followings site offers an online consultation though it would be worth checking with them first to see if they can provide the letter for you before you commit :
In terms of your own doctor, my view is that they have acted unreasonably and are responsible for the loss of £4,000.
They are covered by an Ombudsman scheme which is quicker than court action and free to use. You do have to first make a complaint to your doctor first of all - if that does not resolve this then you can then appeal to the Parliamentary Health & Social Care Ombudsman here:

The Ombudsman's decision is final (if you accept their decision) and binding on the doctor.

Patients can also exert pressure by referring the matter to their local Healthwatch - who are patient’s consumer champions - yours can be found here: ) / to the local press / to your local MP.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help, if I think of anything else I will contact you, thank you once again
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks