plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My daughters ex boyfriend has taken her dog and refuses to

Customer Question

My daughters ex boyfriend has taken her dog and refuses to give him back, what course of action can we take?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stoke on trent but her dog is in leek
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: There's am investigation on going at the moment as her ex held her against her will, and physically attacked her. She managed to escape but couldn't secure her dog. The only action we've done is I went to the house and asked for him back!
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The police advised my daughter to get her dog back the right way!
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are you based in the UK?
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Yes this is a UK advice site. Please bear with me as I type a reply.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

I'm very sorry for what your daughter has been through.

Essentially in law a dog is considered a possession like any other household item (a sofa, a fridge for example).

I appreciate that this sounds bizarre, but it's the case as the law stands currently.

Disputes over dog ownership are therefore disputes over property, and the burden of proof falls on the person claiming ownership to show that the dog is in fact theirs.

It is a matter for a district judge in a small claims (county) court to decide the outcome of any dispute under the Torts (Interference With Goods) Act 1977, where a declaration of ownership can be made.

Acting quickly is paramount to the success of any claim, so I suggest you don't waste any time getting on with it.

There is a specialist firm who may be able to assist here, they offer a fixed fee 20 minute consultation for £60:

https://doglaw.co.uk/civil/ownership-custody-disputes/

I trust that this assists?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK, thank you for your advice, I thought that might be the way!
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Very happy to have helped - best of luck in resolving this as soon as possible.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.