JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I am presently with British Gas for both electricity and gas

Customer Question

I am presently with British Gas for both electricity and gas supply for my business at the moment my gas contract is due to end 16th September I have been quoted for a new contact and the daily rate has gone from 29.030 to 109.888 and unit charge has gone from 3,680 to 5.498 or 6.2 for a year contract When I questioned this more than double increase I was told it’s the cost of living rise. I know prices have gone up but we can not charge double or more than treble for a pint of beer I have tried other companies and they are not taking on pub or restaurant contacts so I am stuck. Is there anything you can suggest that I can go back to British Gas
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry I am in Tanfield Village which is beside Stanley Co Durham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have rang them and they have quoted higher than my renewal notice The daily charge they have quoted on the phone is slightly less but the daily rate is nearly double what I am paying and higher than my renewal notice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have put in my termination notice but they are saying I can not leave til 11Octr
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

You can avail of the Ombudsman scheme here - which should resolve the dispute. It is free to use and quicker than court action - you have to first make a complaint to the energy company, wait for their final response and then go to the Ombudsman. The initial complaints should take up to 8 weeks and the Ombudsman can take up to 16 weeks for a decision to be made.
In the meantime you should dispute the bill.

If they do present you with a large final bill, make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

If the complaint is for high or estimated meter readings, a template letter can be found here which maybe useful :
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-to-complain-about-an-inaccurate-meter-reading-aMv2L5c70DGW

The complaint to British Gas can be made here: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints.html

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Energy Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a reduction of the bill. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

You have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not receive this then the regulator will step in to resolve this for you.

Once you have the final response from British Gas, you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman by email here: ***@******.***

Or via their website here: www.ombudsman-services.org/energy-complaint.html

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

It is a regular complaint so the above would be the way forwards, to resolve this issue.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 13 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim