Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I had to pay a fine of £60.00 for parking even though I had

Customer Question

I had to pay a fine of £60.00 for parking even though I had paid
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The parking was in Ipswich, Suffolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I appealed but they said I still had to pay because I did not pay it quick enough and said I could appeal again but if I did not win I would have had to pay £100.00.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have paid the fine of £60.00 because I am on a low income and could not afford £100 in fines if I did not win. but I still feel that the 10 mins they allowed even though I explained that I did not know how to use the machine and had to reinstate my ringo app which took longer than 10 mins
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Is it the case that you were fined because you did not pay the appropriate fee for the duration you parked your vehicle in the car park for?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I went into Duke Street Car Park and tried to pay for my parking but I was card only not payment by cash and I was unsure how to use the machine and was worried about getting a fine
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry I do not want to pay £44 and I am stopping this call

Thanks for the further info.

When you agree to park in a site you are deemed to accept the parking site's terms and conditions regarding parking your vehicle. Therefore unless the terms and conditions were not placed in areas that were visible and the terms and conditions permitted you to park for the duration of actually paid for its unlikely you will escape the fine in question. Therefore before you pay or challenge the fine please consider the points raised because if you are not successful you could be facing a higher fee in court.

Your defence about not knowing what sort of payment is required is unlikely to be successful in court given you ought to have been aware what sort of payment was required before you agreed to park in the car park.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe