RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I surrendered my dogs who have been adopted. But I’d like

Customer Question

Hi I surrendered my dogs who have been adopted. But I’d like them back as my son who has autism is affected by them leaving and it’s having a bad affect on his mental health. Also the dogs my husband bought and we were separated for a short while and he said I had no right without his consent to give them away. The shelter I gave them to, other than filling a form I signed nothing and never met her face to face other than over text message. Would I be able to get them back? They were very much loved and cared for but at the time I thought I was going to move and now not moving and reconciled with my husband.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sheffield in Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Haven’t taken any as yet but the lady said I couldn’t have them back once handed them to her.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What’s the rate? Will my card be charged?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

I am afraid I do not deal with charges I simple answer the questions.  To deal with your matter, I am afraid it is a difficult situation for you.  In law, dogs are seen as property and nothing more, they are not dealt with in the same way as children.  Therefore, I am afraid to say that if you dogs were put up for adoption and have been given to a new owner you will not be able to get them back.  If they are still with the rescue agency, then you can, of course, speak to them about getting the dog back, but the decision sits with them if they feel this would be appropriate.  I do with there was a better resolve but that is how the law works in this instance.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.