RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

My letting agency are refusing to put a lock on my bedroom

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My letting agency are refusing to put a lock on my bedroom door. They say it's because it breaches the t&C's of their mortgage. Someone came into my bedroom last night. I have no idea who it was.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norwich
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the agency.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: "Hi Jodie,I'm afraid this will not be possible as out would breach the T's & C's of our mortgage. Who came into your room as I will address this with them.Kind regards" Their response.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  They will not be allowed to put an internal lock on the door as it will likely breach their insurances for fire purposes.  However if someone has came into your room, I would report this (as they have requested) there is also nothing legally stopping your from blocking your door at night, just ensure you would be able to escape should there be a fire.  I would report this to the landlord and if this is a serious matter they can potentially evict that person.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've lived in shared houses before with locks on the doors.I should be able to keep myself safe at night. Putting something against a door is not locking it.Why can some houses do it and others not?How does not having a lock make that much of a difference to having it when other houses have fire alarm systems too?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can't believe that they can do something like this and nothing will be done about it.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

It will depend on the individual companies insurance, a lot of rules changed after the Grenfell incident.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I ask for more details regarding that?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 6 days ago.

Its quite simple that the insurers will not allow doors to be Locked from the inside due to the risk of being trapped in a fire.