RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Who is entitled to my brothers ashes. We live in Scotland.

Customer Question

Who is entitled to my brothers ashes.
We live in Scotland.
The funeral director called his daughter this morning to come and collect his ashes so at the moment she has them.
His wife paid for the funeral so she says she is the one that’s entitled to them.
Does my niece have to hand them over.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  It is up to the executor of the estate to distribute the estate.   Therefore if the Will states where they wish to be scattered (for example) it is up the executor to ensure this is the case.  Unless it is otherwise stated in the person's will who they wish to do this.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.