How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5457
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My daughter has been living in a rented flat (sole tenancy)

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been living in a rented flat (sole tenancy) as a student. She was an additional driver on her ex-partner's car (only partially-paid for - finance outstanding) - her insurance has now been cancelled. On 03/08/2021 her ex-partner forced his way into her flat, pushed her over and committed a serious assault on a male friend that was visiting at the time. The ex -partner has been charged with GBH and told to stay away from the flat. My daughter hasn't driven the car since the assault - it is parked in a private car park behind the block of flats and we don't know how to return the keys. The police dealing with the assault charge know we have the keys but just advised to contact Citizen's Advice. The ex-partner's family aren't very nice people and I don't want to go near their property. They haven't tried to contact either myself or my daughter to retrieve the keys or the vehicle and they are fully aware of where it is. I'm uncomfortable with it being where it is because we're in the process of moving my daughter back to the family home and the car is full of the ex-partner's possessions (including the car's documents). I also expect the finance has been defaulted on and that the finance company will want to retrieve it at some stage. I considered sending the keys by registered post, but obviously wouldn't be able to prove that the delivery contained the keys (unless I recorded the entire process, including that the keys do open/close the car). and wouldn't trust the family not to deny that they'd received them. Please advise the best course of action.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How quickly can I expect a reply please?

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear what has happened.

To return the keys, either use Royal Mail Registered post, that will record proof of postage and proof of receipt or use a courier service, that to would conform delivery and receipt. That is all you need to do.

There is no deed to see if the keys open the car, commencing scene says that if they are the car keys then they will.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. What does “commencing scene” mean in this context please?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I realise I can easily prove postage and delivery/receipt but I can’t so easily prove what was in the parcel …

I understand, the best way is to register the contents with the post service used. There really is nothing else you can do,

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you