How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75097
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Shop that I sell in for comission sold my stock and didn’t

This answer was rated:

Shop that I sell in for comission sold my stock and didn’t pay for the goods
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I asked them to pay but they are delaying
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How much are you owed? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
far we agreed on 588£ but i am due to do another stoctake (they delayed it because said they took my stock to a market?). I am expecting at least another 500-600£ more.

Thank you. What do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’d like to take remaining atock from the shop but im worried that she will not pay me at all if im gone. Wondering how can I recover my money from there?

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to  There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thank you so much. This clarifies a lot. I was just wondering how can I prove before court that they owe me the amount? I have screenshots of conversations cia instagram chat where I send paoer with amout and they confirmed theyll pay (which they never proceed to do). Is this enough to take this to court (just in case)zl. I want to solve this without this but I was wondering if I need any other evidence before I take my stuff?

Hi there, thank you for your further queries, which I will be happy to answer. All you can do is provide whatever evidence you have. In the end, anything can potentially be used to support your claim, be it formal documents, emails, texts, call transcripts, even your own verbal evidence. It does not guarantee it will change the situation or even accepted by the court, but if that is all you have, then you cannot do much else and can only include the evidence you have access to

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’ll have a think if I have anymore questions before finishing. Thank you so much!

No worries, thanks

Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you