How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1149
Experience:  20 years experience in Wills and Probates and Trusts
Type Your Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

My mother died three weeks ago with no will, my brother has

This answer was rated:

my mother died three weeks ago with no will, my brother has applied for probate, we have a terrible relationship, dont talk. should i wait until he has sold the house and stated what he is going to offer me? then dispute it if i think its unfair
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: exeter
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Good evening thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear of your situation. It is incredibly early to be able to apply for probate unless your brother was also your mother's attorney and exactly knows her financial information, you are both equally entitled to apply for a Grant so you could do so yourself if you think he may not have done so.

If you two are the only children then you are both entitled to an equal share and not what he thinks to offer you. You could lodge a caveat at the probate registry if you think he will not act fairly in the administration of the estate.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
my brother has two children, could he divide my mothers house up between his kids and him and me, i.e i get 25% share

Hello, no he can't, he can't touch your share.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** have been a great help, I suffer from depression and this has helped me a lot, i feel much better.

Oh no, I am so sorry. Pop to a solicitor near you and they will probably advise a caveat just to make sure you get what you are due.


Do you need further assistance?

MarianC and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
no thanks, ***** ***** for caveat on Monday, thanks again
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
one question if you don't mind, how do i find out who my mother's solicitor is if my brother won't tell me?

Hi, you could phone around his local solicitors, that would be the easiest way. Also they will place adverts in the local papers for your mother's area so you should start to read the classified ads for the bereavement notices.