How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5438
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

12 years ago in an unfortunate matter I was given a

Customer Question

Hi 12 years ago in an unfortunate matter I was given a restraining order by magistrates Court and convicted of harassment to my ex partner over access to a child.
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: Harassment, as I said it was 12 years ago now
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No I havnt. The restraining order is still in place, this means that although the harassment conviction would normally be spent after 2.5 years. This mater is still showing up on dbs checks, can anthing be done about this?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear what has happened.

You will need to make an application ti the court that imposed the order to see if they will after all this time end the order.

I would advice instructing a local criminal law form to assist you. They can draft the letter to the court and represent you at any hearing.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website.

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.