How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 468
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

My wife is instigating divorce proceedings and has, Sorry,

Customer Question

Hello, My wife is instigating divorce proceedings and has
JA: What steps has your wife taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Sorry, pressed the send button by mistake! My wife is getting a CETV for her pension and wants that figure to be used as the settlement. If this divorce takes 5 months her pension will have increased. Do I accept the current figure or will I be entitled to the higher figure when the decree absolute is granted? Many thanks
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No, shes been asked for financial figures from the mediator
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 8 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters so I'd be happy to offer some guidance.The CETV is recalculated when the pension trustees receive a copy of the sealed pension sharing annex and copy of the court order. You will receive your % share of whatever the value is when the pension share is implemented.I trust that information helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Kind regards, J
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do you do Company law?
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 8 days ago.
Unfortunately not. I do have a decent working knowledge of partnership law and I'm also a specialist in contentious probate.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My wife has 'conveniently forgotten' that she has a 15% share and is Company Secretary in our lettings agency. We have a credit card bill of around £4500 which she mediator has wrongly assumwed that I am liable for. We have a joint account. Is there any legal reason why I cant pay the entire credit card bill off from our joint account straight away? Many thanks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If you are unable to answer this do I need to resubmit this as a new question?
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 8 days ago.
I can answer it but I'm just busy answering another question at the moment. In a nutshell, if the credit card is a joint card and you have a joint account, you should inform your wife that you intend to settle the JOINT debts using JOINTLY owned monies from the account. I have no doubt she'll be unhappy about it but there's very little she can do. If she tried to claw the money back in later negotiations, you would just demonstrate that the debts and expenses on the card were run up by her (and some by you) and you were simply paying off important debts.