How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1322
Type Your Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have my girlfriend moving into the flat I have bought and

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have my girlfriend moving into the flat I have bought and have a mortgage for.My girlfriend is to live with me for a year and pay £350 in rent to live at the property. This will go towards the bills I pay in my account (heating and electricity, insurance, council tax, rainy day costs ) and the remainder will be rent.We will also have a joint bank account together where we will pay £200 each to pay for food and lifestyle.I want to ensure I have protection that my girlfriend doesn’t have an interest or stake in the property and both our separate bank accounts and belongings remain separate. Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your question.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need any further clarifications

Hi why don't you have a lodger's agreement which she signs. She would only have home rights if this property becomes the family home.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi would I need a declaration of trust aswell as a lodger agreement
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How is a family home defined ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your help :)

A declaration of trust is usually used to confirm who owns what shares in the property. As she owns no shares this isn't the right document.

If your relationship becomes more established and you have children then more likely to be a family home.

frantzgregory and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I hope this response has helped. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, you can ask another question on the site. It has been my pleasure to assist you.