Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I’ve been the victim of an online scam which cost me £3500 I

Hello,I’ve been the victim of an online scam which cost me £3500 I was tricked into believing that i was investing in bitcoins crypto coins etc. Yeah made 4 payments via a balance transfer,once I realised this I contacted my bank and they said they’d look into it for me. They told me after a few days I wouldn’t be getting any money back due the fact that I’d accepted and pushed the accept on the transfers. Is there anyway I could challenge their decision?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: they looked into it and told me my request was declined
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Have you been told this is their final decision on this matter? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
they declined it and said there was nothing they could do about getting my money back?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I was a bit stunned as I thought they would’ve tried a bit more .
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have the msgs from the scam and details of the funds removed to prove that I was scammed.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Due to a significant increase in bank transfer fraud, a voluntary code was introduced in 2019 to provide consumers with some protection in the event they fell victims to such scams.

The Authorised Push Payment Contingent Reimbursement Model Voluntary Code offers such protection in the event the victims have met the standards described in the Code, when they fell for these scams.

The presumption in the Code is that victims of bank transfer fraud should be reimbursed unless there are clear grounds for attributing blame to the consumer. In general, anyone who has taken reasonable care when making such payments is likely to receive a refund of the lost money, whereas a victim who has been "grossly negligent" will not be reimbursed.

You can read more on how each bank may deal with this scenario here:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/05/scam-victims-to-be-reimbursed-under-new-code-has-your-bank-signed-up-to-protect-you/

If you rare unhappy with their decision, you can consider taking this to the Financial Ombudsman for independent resolution. However, they are extremely busy at present – I had a claim with them which took nearly a year to resolve, but you could try them anyway, at least to have something done about it.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do you know a number in which I could call them on? Thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’d looked into companies who say they’ll get your money back for you but you have to pay £350 just to get started and I don’t really trust them.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello?

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’d looked into companies who say they’ll get your money back for you but you have to pay £350 just to get started and I don’t really trust them.what do you think of these kind of companies? One was from Israel which made me think no .
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

A lot of them are scams, none of them can actually guarantee success and overall I would not pay anything in advance for such a service. If they are so confident over their abilities, they can deduct their fees from the amount they manage to recover

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeah that’s what I said to them and they went all funny on me when I suggested just what you said about the payment up front. That’s why I chose to consult yourselfs and now the financial National ombudsman.

I would not recommend paying up front for such services so for now it is best to use the FO’s services

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That’s what I thought,thanks for confirming that to me.

you are welcome