How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I’ve been involved in an accident and the insurance is

This answer was rated:

I’ve been involved in an accident and the insurance is refusing to pay what the third-party have claimed because apparently you’re only allowed to drive with a non-uk license for up to 12 months from the day you become resident.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing they just contacted me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Asking to sign a consent and indemnity form

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience: LL.B (Hons)
RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t know what the third party has claimed but their car had very minor damage and everyone was perfectly fine on the day. So I don’t understand what injuries they could possibly claim ? Could you assist me with some advice please ?

Whats your number and I will call

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Thank you sadly, it really doesn't matter what the other party are claiming for, if you have been in the UK with a foreign driving licence and have been driving for more than 12 months then you licence is likely expired.  If that is the case, then driving with an expired licence would automatically void your insurance.   You are usually required to take a driving test after a period of 12 months so if you have not done that they will not pay out as your insurance will be void.  If you feel that is not the case, you can look at escalating the matter to the insurance ombudsman.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.