12826847

I have a 9 month old German shepherd occasionally runs to

I have a 9 month old German shepherd occasionally runs to neighbour‘a garden. There is just bushes between two gardens however without any formal fence-the fence belongs to my neighbour. The neighbour complains several times and i have installed some low iron fence at my side but dog sometimes still jumps over. My neighbour refuses to install a formal fence even I offer to pay half of cost. What shall I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am living in Esher, Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I apologised for dog’s running to their garden and talked to neighbour for the cost sharing.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My dog is well behaved, rarely barks, never bites people and is friendly to kids and other animals.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Why does he have the opportunity to do this?

You could raise the fence on your side.

Or you could pay for a fence on theirs. Its not likely they would agree to any cost at all as, ultimately, he is your dog.

Unless he causes damage or injury, they don't have any claim anyway but the risk is that they would lie.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My dog does not like leash leash, so sometimes plays freely in garden.I have tried my best to keep an eye on my dog, so normally just once or twice a month to run to neighbour’s garden.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks a lot for your quick response.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One more question, do you think that’s better if I report to the council the situation first? Thanks.

Not really. Do you mean he wants you to keep your dog on a leash in your back garden?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks. Yes, the neighbour wants us to keep using leash, actually I use it most of time, but sometimes gives him a relaxed time.I suppose the neighbour will report to the council the situation, so I just want to check with Council if the neighbour should build the fence by themselves.Or I shall just leave it, and see the further reaction from the neighbour. From my side, I will try my best to avoid dog’s running again to neighbour l’s garden.

I suppose if he uses the opportunity to get into your neighbours' garden then he does have a complaint although it is one that many people would not have made but you don't have a right to demand that your live next door to reasonable people.

Isn't the solution just to increase the size of your own fence?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No fence between us, unless I build up by myself but according to property contract, the whole side of this fence should be built by my neighbour.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The other side with another neighbour should be built by me which I did.

Yes, but you can't expect him to bear the cost of putting up a fence when the issue is yours. So just build your own.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I understand what I can do is, either I build my own fence, or just wait for their suggestion.Thanks anyway for your suggestion. Have a nice weekend.