How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3443
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have been told for 8yrs i am the father,after telling the

Customer Question

I have been told for 8yrs i am the father,after telling the mother to stop hitting the child she now says I'm not the father and won't allow paternity test ,have I the right to know the truth?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have no legal right as my name not on birth certificate as child was born during affair
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Scotland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There are 3 children
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  I am sorry to hear about this matter.   If you are on the birth certificate then you have parental responsibility.  If the mother has knowingly put false information on the birth certificate this is a criminal offence.  However to heal with this matter, you will require to raise and action in the Sheriff Court.  The Court can legally order a paternity test.   If the child is yours, you have rights you can enforce if you are being denied contact etc.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.