How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3448
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My wife has made many many false domestic abuse accusations

Customer Question

My wife has made many many false domestic abuse accusations about me post seperation in an attempt to now move away with the children.
JA: What steps has your wife taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your wife live in?
Customer: Leicester
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she has provided 125 pages of abuse allegations and 1000’s of messages/texts to support her allegations.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am really concerned as I was coerced to attend a domestic violence group as my wife was accusing me non stop claiming I was abusing her when the reality was I was defending myself from her
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We were married for 12 years before I finally left and she is now making the formal accusations through the divorce hearing.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for the question.   I am sorry to hear about tis mater.  In terms of the divorce hearing, the accusations will only serve to have the divorce go through quicker on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour as opposed to the two year rule.  However, if. you can prove that these allegations are not true (which can be difficult to prove) you may have a case for defamation of character.   In order to prove defamation of character there are two “barriers” which you have to prove.  Firstly, you have to show that there has been a publicised statement which is to your detriment.  You have to be able to show that it is not true.  So just for an example, if you have been convicted of a crime, and maintain your innocence, and someone publicises this on social media you wouldn’t have a case as you have been found guilty by law.  You have to be able to show that the statement is untrue.  Secondly you have to be able to show that you have suffered, or are likely to suffer a detriment due to the false information which has been shared about you. If you can do both of these things then you will be successful in your case for defamation.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.