james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

When a landlord comes out to inspect a property that a

Customer Question

When a landlord comes out to inspect a property that a tenant is currently renting, what legal rights does the landlord have to take photographs inside the property? Can the landlord just photograph whatever they want?Thank you very much.
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

The landlord can indeed visit and carry out an inspection of the property.

As the property belongs to them, they can take photos of anything of concern. You can ask them not to film your personal items but that may be difficult if they need to take a photo where your items are.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Dear Mr Bruce, thank you for your reply. Does this also apply to Welsh renting laws? I'm sorry, I should have specified that I live in Wales when I aksed the question.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
asked

Yes, that would also apply.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does this also mean that the landlord has the right to touch any of a tenants' private possessions in order to move them out of the way?

No, they should ask the tenant to move them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much. Also, does the landlord have the right to bring another person with them when they inspect the property? The landlord manages the property themselves, but has said that they want to bring an estate agent with them also (they have never inspected the property before in the 2 years I have lived here, but now want to because I was forced to report them to public health after the clay drain outside collapsed and the landlord wouldn't do anything about it). I feel uncomfortable about having more people coming to the house than necessary during covid, as my two children are immunosuppressed. Can I say no? Thank you again.

Yes they can, they may be deciding to pass the management of the property to the agent to manage, or could even be looking to market the property.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. Please could you explain to me under what right they would have to allow another person to enter the property, when the landlord is the property's only licensee?

You would need to look at your tenancy agreement. Then ask the landlord why he has brought this other person. I have already explained possible reasons,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The reasons given to me by my landlord were to "see if the house was suitable for my needs". I'm sure you're not interested in the details, but the house, which has no proper hot running water or heating (tip of the iceberg as the problems go), is not suitable for any normal persons needs.What I am asking you is not why the landlord might want to bring this person, but what legal right the landlord has to do so, considering the landlord is the only licensee. Are you able to tell me? There is nothing about this issue in my tenancy agreement.

If he is the owner, or in charted that allows him the right

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
you're telling me that a landlord has the right to allow anyone to enter the property if he owns it?

No, please read my previous comments. He may want a second opinion from an expert in property, he may be considering the agent to manage as already explained etc, yes he can bring such a person into his property under such reasons.

You would need to ask him the exact reason for doing so.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Even under covid regulations?

Covid regulation do not change this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, thank you very much.

Your welcome.