james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have had to leave my marital home tonight due to verbal

Customer Question

I have had to leave my marital home tonight due to verbal abuse. Do I have.the right to return tomorrow to collect my personal effects?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have grabbed a bag of belongings including my ID docs and papers. I don't own the property, my spouse does.
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

who told you to leave?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do have the right to return to the property to collect my belongings?

Who told you to leave?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Don't call. I'm at a friend and it's the middle of the night. I chose to leave because of a continued pattern of verbal and emotional abuse

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok

Yes, as you chose to leave and not ordered to by police or house owner, then yes you can return to collect your personal property.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. Has my spouse got the right to stop me from entering the property?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As they own the property ..

Yes she can if she wants to be difficult, but must return your possessions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. What is a reasonable amount of time for her to delay this? She's saying she's busy tomorrow and Sunday, and I have to go to work on Monday

That sorry to say but there is no set time. Several days notice is reasonable 24-72 hours

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok, thank you.

Your welcome

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.