Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

Thanks while I was going to romania to too 8000 cash with me

Customer Question

Thanks while I was going to romania to too 8000 cash with me but the police at the airport seized it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m West Midlands Walsall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet Don’t what to do
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I got a car wash I been keeping my wages at home since I started it in 2019
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.

Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate.

Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am very sorry to hear about this. A customs officer or the Police are allowed to seize cash of more than £1,000 from someone entering the UK or who is already in the UK if they have suspicions that the cash has come from a criminal act or the cash is going to be used illegally.

They can hold the cash for up to 48 hours unless a court order allows that it can be kept for longer.

Cash seizure involves criminal law and so the prosecution has to prove that the cash was illegal or going to be used illegally ‘beyond reasonable doubt’.

Alternatively, they can go for cash forfeiture. Forfeiture is a civil matter, which means that the court can only order the cash to be forfeited if it is proved that it was ‘more likely than not’ that the cash was illegal or going to be used illegally.

If you are investigated and a decision is made to seize your cash it is important to consider contacting your local solicitor to understand whether the seizure or forfeiture was legal and whether it can be challenged.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 11 days ago.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to come back with anything else. I will help to the extent I can.